Monday, March 19, 2007

McCain "Not Sure" if Condoms Prevent HIV

According to The Caucus Blog, McCain stumbled when asked by a reporter on his "Straight Talk Express" bus if taxpayer money should be used to pay for contraceptives in places ravaged by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. What follows is a transcript from the interview:

Mr. McCain: “I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before. I don’t know if I would use taxpayers’ money for it.”

Reporter: “So no contraception, no counseling on contraception. Just abstinence. Do you think contraceptives help stop the spread of HIV?”

Mr. McCain: (Long pause) “You’ve stumped me.”

Reporter: “I mean, I think you’d probably agree it probably does help stop it?”

Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was.”

Reporter: “But you would agree that condoms do stop the spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Would you say: ‘No, we’re not going to distribute them,’ knowing that?”


Mr. McCain: (Twelve-second pause) “Get me Coburn’s thing, ask Weaver [McCain's senior adviser] to get me Coburn’s paper that he just gave me in the last couple of days. I’ve never gotten into these issues before.”

So... McCain... isn't sure if contraceptives stop the spread of HIV/AIDS, and, despite his lack of knowledge, supports President Bush's abstince-only approach to controlling the HIV/AIDS pandemic abroad and sex education at home? Brilliant.

- JNM

No comments: